A quick guide to food thermometers for kitchens
There are many factors Chefs and Restaurant Managers need to take into account when ensuring the safety and quality of the food they produce. One essential item that cannot be overlooked is the use of accurate food thermometers. Not only do they help to ensure food safety and quality, they also assist with reducing costly wastage.
Why food thermometers are important
It’s well known in commercial kitchens that the temperature danger zone for food is between 5°C and 60°C and the time that food spends within in these temperatures can present significant health risks to customers, such as cases of salmonella, listeria and bacillus. Thermometers help minimise this risk and contribute to keeping the food safe.
Food thermometers are also vital tools that help with food preparation as they help to ensure food has been cooked thoroughly and they provide temperature control during food preparation, food storage, transportation and when food is on display.
What food thermometer do you need for your kitchen?
There are a number of different types of thermometers available on the market, each is designed to suit certain applications and tasks within your kitchen.
See below a quick overview of the different types of thermometers available and how to implement in them best in your kitchen.
- Essential for checking the internal temperature of foods
- Accurately measure the temperature of highrisk foods to ensure they do not fall within the temperature dangerzone.
- Ideal for ensuring your meats are cooked safely and to perfection
- Use to check the temperature of food in bainmarie and display units
- Check the water temperature in your sous vide machine
- Light weight
- Essential for checking the surface temperature of potentially hazardous foods and perishables when they arrive at your business
- Easily measure the temperature of your frozen food deliveries
- Accurate and fast temperature readings within a second
- Ideal for taking temperatures at a distance
- Spot check the temperature of packaged food
- Use to measure the temperature of frying pans and hotplates
Our friendly team is ready to assist you with any enquiries regarding your food safety needs. To see our full range of thermometer visit our online store or please feel free to call us on 1800 673 644 or send us an email at [email protected] .